ROSSO PICENO SUPERIORE
San Basso Estate
Rosso Piceno Denominazione di Origine Controllata Superiore
Intense ruby red color with purple reflections and lovely viscosity. Aromas of red summer fruit, cherries and raspberries, are followed by a lightly herbaceous note. Fresh and intense this wine is well balanced with complimenting acidity and balanced tannin.
Ideal serving temperature: 18° C by the glass
- First year of production: 1969
- Grapes: 55% Montepulciano, 45% Sangiovese
- Soil composition: Clay with South-West exposure and altitude, 250-300 mt a.s.l.
- Training system: Espalier System, Spurred Cordon
- Yield/hectare: 9 tons
- Harvest begins during the first ten days of October, hand-picked. Vinification through maceration under controlled temperature (not higher than 28°C)
- Refinement: 12 months in 40/50 hl Slavonian oak barrels. Further refining in bottle for at least 4 months
San Basso Estate is dedicated to our younger vines and is situated in an environment of considerable value near the medieval towns of Ripatransone, Grottammare and Cossignano. This land descends into the valley of the Tronto River, in the southern Marche region, and offers large conservational areas and breathtaking scenery. Scattered with deep ditches and snow-white limestone canyons, that wind 30 kilometers toward the Fiobbo Stream, this “badlands” microclimate creates an ideal environment for viticulture. The cliffs provide natural shelter and rainwater and combined with the intense daytime heat and cool night temperatures this complex ecosystem helps to define our authentic heritage that is based on indigenous bio-diversity.